You can use Google Analytics (GA) to evaluate almost everything that takes place on your website. However, you should concentrate on the crucial fields.
Scrutinize your online business objectives well. Do ensure that what you are tracking is in keeping with your goals.
Set Up a Google Analytics Account
Setting up a Google Analytics account is a simple process. Just utilize this link to set one up if you haven’t done so already.
Set Up Profiles
A Google Analytics Account is built up of filters and profiles.
Some profiles that can prove useful to you are:
- All data profile: containing all information, it can function as a backup profile if any problems arise
- All data profile (IP filters): it has all information with a filter on familiar IP addresses such as those from your organization, known third parties , and the like
- Include IP profile: you can have one profile dedicated to gathering website behavior which can be useful for testing
The number of profiles you require will be based on your individual circumstances.
Get the Profile Settings Right
There are quite a few basic configuration fields in every profile associated with your Google Analytics account. It is essential to configure this the right way so as to ensure the appropriate data flows in.
Link Google AdWords to Google Analytics
You can proceed to the next step if you do not possess any AdWords accounts. If you have an account, ensure that AdWords and your Google Analytics account are appropriately linked.
Use Campaign Tracking
Campaign tracking constitutes an essential element of every online enterprise.
You must have precise knowledge of all campaigns that direct traffic and facilitate conversions. Else, you will not know how to better your site and the Google Analytics implementation will be a waste.
Add Tracking Code to Your Site
Ensure that all your pages are tagged with the appropriate codes.
Test Your Site Analytics before Implementation
Make sure to utilize a test server to try out your Google Analytics implementation. Since it is possible that there might be errors in implementing scripts, it is easier if you can zero in on this on the test server.
Review Results and Make Adjustments
It is common to find errors that need to be rectified after you have reviewed the trial implementation. Set things right and when you are satisfied that there are no problems, prepare to go live.
Implement GA on Live Site
In a matter of hours, you will see real data flowing in.
- Transfer all scripts and pages to the live site.
- Go to the site and check if it is functioning right (only rarely you may find the GA script leading to site problems).
- After 24 hours, verify if your profiles are all gathering data. Only a few hours should do it though.
Create Structure for User Access
In order to prevent accidental deletion of goals or profiles, be selective about the people who have access to your Google Analytics account.
One recent addition to the “Account Settings” section is the “Change History” option.
Generate Custom Reports
There are over eighty different reports with varying data in Google Analytics.
It is versatile with regard to compiling data from separate reports into a single one. Custom reports can prove useful in such instances.